14 Free Activities In Vancouver This Summer
by MELODIE LARBALESTIER
We are finally at this time of the year when we start projecting ourselves soaking up the sun on the beach or having a good time with friends enjoying street festivals. Don’t look any further, we gathered all the summer must-do activities as well as some underrated local attractions. Get ready to live it up, for free!
Italian Day on the drive
You like Italian culture and can’t resist tasty wood-fired pizza? This Heritage street festival is just for you! On that special occasion, Little Italy welcomes live music, food, patios, retail vendors, vehicles, activities and much more set throughout 14 blocks.
- When: June 10th 2018 from 12:00pm-8:00pm
- Where: Commercial Drive, spanning from Venables St to Grandview Cut, Vancouver
Dragon boat race
Come and watch North America’s biggest boat racing festival! This 3-day festival is a big source of free entertainment combining competitive boat racing, art installations, live music, and circus performers. If you feel like grabbing a snack, you can even enjoy the Festival BBQ.
- When: June 22-24, 2018
- Where: False Creek, Vancouver
World’s ocean day celebration cleanup
You care about sustainability and you want to give a bit of your time to the community? Come and volunteer with Shoreline Cleanup to help keep the Ocean a safe place for the marine life. You will pair the hard work with the chance to meet people and create new friendships.
- When: Saturday, Jun 9, 2018, at 10:30
- Where: False Creek at Plaza of Nations, Vancouver
VGC Boat Party
Do you enjoy being in the city and on the water at the same time? This activity is for you! Come to our annual, very special 5-hour cruise around the city where you can be with your new friends and listening to music while drinking out very own VGC brew.
- When: Friday, June 29th, 2018 – 4:15 PM
- Where: Downtown
- Please ask our VGC Event coordinator Matt for details
Khatsahlano Street Party
All the music lovers will head down to Kitsilano for the renown Khatsahlano Street Party. Not only it is Vancouver’s largest free music festival but you will come across street performers, local artisan vendors and you might even stop for a fresh drink at one of the licensed beer gardens!
- Where: 10-block street fair, West 4th Avenue spanning from Burrard to MacDonald Street
- When: Saturday, July 7, 2018, from 11:00 am to 9:00 pm on
The (almost) free Carnaval del Sol
Feeling jiggy? The largest Latin Festival in the entire Pacific Northwest will have you dance the night away. Walk to the rhythm of Latin music while enjoying the food, the soccer game and many more fun events.
- When: July 7- 8, 2018
- Where: Concord Pacific
Summer Outdoor Cinema
Nostalgic about the good old outdoor cinema days? Head to Stanley Park to watch some classic movies on one of Vancouver’s biggest screen. Bring your blanket and your picnic basket and unwind under the stars.
- When: Every Tuesday night, starting July 5, at dusk
- Where: Stanley Park, 2nd beach, Vancouver
Free salsa Sunday
Whether you are curious about salsa or you are a professional dancer, Salsa Sunday gives you the opportunity to share your interest and partner with other salsa fans. Learn from the best instructors in Vancouver or come and check out the professional performance taking place after the free lesson.
- When: Every Sunday afternoon, starting August 5
- Where: Robson Square, Vancouver
Stanley Park Water Fight
The H2O-powered fight in Stanley Park is one of Vancouver summer highs. Bring your own water weapon (water gun, water bottle or any small container) and be ready to mingle and to get soaked.
- When: August 11th, 2018
- Where: Lumberman’s Arch, Stanley Park
The Squamish Days Loggers Sports Festival
Feeling like experiencing some Canadian traditions? Put on your lumberjack shirt and head to Squamish for the day to enjoy all kinds of logger sports-themed entertainment. From ax- throwing to log-climbing, you will have a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- When: August 2-6, 2018
- Where: Al McIntosh Loggers Sports Grounds which is located at 39555 Loggers Lane, Squamish
Deep Cove Daze Festival
Feeling like attending a local low-key beach festival in one of the most scenic spots in Vancouver? Deep Cove Daze combines a variety of activities for both children and adults, ranging from live entertainment music to the artisan market.
- When: last Sunday in August from noon until 7 pm. That means that Sunday, August 26th, is the date for 2018.
- Where: Deep Cove at Panorama Park, 2200 Panorama Drive, Vancouver.
Free activities to enjoy all summer long
Shipyards Night Market
Come to North Vancouver to stroll along the shore on long summer nights. Shipyards Night Market offers plenty of entertainment ranging from live music to food truck food. Stop by the beer garden to taste some locally crafted beer or wander around the large selection of market vendors.
- When: Friday Nights 5-10pm – May 4 to September 28, 2018
- Where: East of the Seabus and Lonsdale Quay, North Vancouver
Lynn Canyon park suspension Bridge
Want to see waterfalls while crossing over a suspension bridge for free? Head to Lynn Canyon Park, home to black bears, elks and hawks. You may recognize this natural scenic rainforest décor appearing in the TV series Stargate.
- Where: 993 Peters Road, North Vancouver
Jericho Beach wild Bunnies
You like nature and are an animal lover? Head down to Jericho Beach, near Jericho Sailing Center and contemplate the rabbits in their non-native yet current habitat. You can extend your outdoor adventure and take a walk along the several beaches of Spanish Banks.
- Where: Jericho Beach – Spanish Banks, Vancouver