We are excited to announce that VGC will be officially reopening on July 6! The safety and comfort of our students and staff has always been and will continue to remain our highest priority. After much discussion with healthcare authorities, students and staff, we have decided that a gradual reopening is the best approach. Classes and the school will look different than before, but we are confident that we can now proceed in a manner that is safe for everyone.
Today we’d like to explain our safety guidelines that we have put in place for the reopening of both campuses.
Campus environment and general guidelines
- Temperature check for every person entering the campus
- Physical distancing measures: stickers placed around the campus as a visual guideline for students (6ft/2m apart)
- Arrows on the floor mark one-way directions on campus
- Hand sanitizer stations throughout the campus
- Prominently displayed signs throughout the campus to remind students of hygiene and distancing guidelines
- Microwaves are not accessible to reduce common touchpoints for students
- Mandatory use of face masks in common areas
- Furniture is arranged to allow safe distancing
- Stairs to be used predominantly to move between floors, lifts are only in use for those affected by disabilities or health issues
- Students and staff are asked to stay home when feeling ill or symptomatic
- Limited number of students per floor to conform to the government laws
Classes and schedules
- Staggered arrival times to avoid overcrowding of common areas
- In-class lessons will be optional for students as they will decide themselves when they’re comfortable enough to return
- Limited number of students per class (6 in the beginning), some students may come on alternative days
- Classes are taught in blended format: in-class on campus as well as online
- Classroom furniture is spaced out to allow for proper physical distancing
- A full time janitor is cleaning the campus environment throughout the day, with special emphasis on high touchpoint areas
Students who are uncomfortable returning to campus can continue to study from home. All new students are welcome to join our classes once the government sanctioned 2 week isolation is completed immediately after entering Canada. Students who do not wish to travel may still join our courses online from their home country.
We are confident that we can now proceed in a manner that is safe for everyone and we look forward to welcoming everyone back on campus very soon!
by Henriette Freese