How to Spend Your Christmas Break in Vancouer
by HENRIETTE FREESE
Christmas is almost here and if you’re not travelling home you will have a whole week off to explore the beauty of Vancouver and all kinds of Christmas and winter-themed events. Here is a list of suggestions what you could do over your Christmas break:
Peak of Christmas, Grouse Mountain
Experience a Christmas winter wonderland up on Grouse Mountain. You can stroll through the light tunnel, see Santa, go on a sleigh ride, meet reindeer, play in the snow or watch holiday movies. All against a beautiful mountain backdrop.
- Nov 25, 2016 to Jan 2, 2017
- Free with purchase of lift ticket
- Lift ticket youth (13-16 years): $25.95
- Lift ticket adult: $44.95
Capilano Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
One of our favourite parks, Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, is even more magical during winter time. Take in the breathtaking atmosphere while you wander through the forest and over the suspension bridge that is decorated with hundreds of thousands of sparkling lights. You can also see the world’s tallest living Christmas tree!
- Nov 14, 2016 to Jan 8, 2017
- 11AM – 9PM daily (closed on Christmas day)
- Youth (13-16 years): $26.95
- Student (17+ with ID): $32.95
Gingerbread Lane at Hyatt Regency Vancouver
More than 30 gingerbread houses make up the cheerful display in the hotel lobby of the Hyatt Regency. Previous years have included a life-size gingerbread house designed, baked, and assembled by the hotel’s pastry chef. Best of all, the event is free and a fundraiser.
- FREE Admission
Vancouver Christmas Market
Experience some German Christmas atmosphere at the Vancouver annual Christmas market. You can enjoy street food, drinks, crafts and gods, music and entertainment at the Jack Poole Plaza.
- Nov 26 to Dec 31, 2016
- 11AM – 9PM daily (closed 6PM on Dec 24, closed on Christmas day)
- Admission: $8
Christmas at Canada Place
Over the holidays you can enjoy Christmas décor and holiday atmosphere at Canada Place, with Christmas crafts, the Rudolph theatre, the avenue of Christmas trees and more.
- Dec 16 to Dec 30, 2016
- 12PM – 6PM daily (Closed Dec 24 and 25)
- FREE Admission
Visit the local ski hills
Hit the slopes on your skis or snowboard or enjoy some of the various other winter activities that are being offered. Tobogganing, snow tubing, cross country skiing, snowshoeing… the options are endless! All of them have night skiing as well. You can find more information about prices, rentals, hours, admission and shuttles on the websites of each mountain:
- Grouse Mountain: https://www.grousemountain.com/
- Cypress Mountain: http://www.cypressmountain.com/
- Mount Seymour: http://www.mountseymour.com/
Robson Square Ice Rink
Enjoy one of the classic Vancouver traditions – ice skating on the Robson Square Ice Rink. This is the perfect spot to enjoy the holidays and have fun with your friends.
- Dec 1, 2016 to Feb 14, 2017
- 9AM – 9PM Mon – Thu, 9AM – 11PM Fri – Sat
- Admission: Free, $4 Skate Rental Fee
Bright Nights Christmas Train in Stanley Park
The Christmas train takes you on a train ride through Stanley Park and you can experience 3 million sparkling Christmas lights.
- Nov 28, 2016 to Jan 1, 2017 (Closed Dec 25)
- Matinee Train 10AM – 2:30PM
- Evening Train 3PM – 10PM
- Admission train tickets: $12
Holiday Heights at Bloedel Conservatory
Bloedel Conservatory turned into a winter wonderland with festive lights and music this season. Make sure to also take a ride on the city’s only holiday ferris wheel!
- Dec 9, 2016 to Jan 2, 2017 (Closed Dec 25)
- 4:00PM – 9PM daily
- Admission: $4.50 (Youth), $6.75 (Adult)
VanDusen Botanical Garten Festival of Lights
Experience VanDusen Botanical Garden decorated with one million lights for a magical holiday atmosphere. The interactive themed areas and light shows can be enjoyed best together with your friends.
- Dec 1, 2016 to Jan 2, 2017, 2016 (Closed Dec 25)
- 4:30PM – 10PM (until Dec 23), 4:30PM – 9PM (until Jan 2)
- Admission: $14.25 (Youth), $18.50 (Adult)
Christmas at Flyover Canada
Flyover Canada is one of our favourite activities at VGC and this holiday season they created a twist on the flying ride. Join a mission to help Santa Clause on his search for his missing elves all while flying across Canada!
- Nov 24, 2016 to Jan 2, 2017 (Closed Dec 25)
- 9:30AM – 10PM daily (closes early on Dec 24)
- Admission: $19.80 (Youth/Student with ID)
Heritage Christmas at Burnaby Museum
If you’re in Burnaby you should take a look at the Burnaby Village Museum where you can experience Heritage Christmas for some old-fashioned fun and beautiful Christmas light displays.
- Nov 19, 2016 to Jan 2, 2017, (Closed Dec 24 & 25)
- 1:00PM – 9PM daily
- FREE Admission, Carousel rides $2.60 each
Enchant Christmas Light Maze and Market
Visit the world’s largest Christmas Light Maze with over 55000 sq. feet of illuminated sculptures and displays. In addition to the maze there is a market with over 40 local vendors, 12 food trucks and a licensed eating area. This is Vancouver’s winter wonderland just a short walk away from Olympic Village sky train station.
- Until Dec 31, 2016
- 4:00PM – 10PM daily (Closing 8PM on Dec 24, Closed Dec 25)
- $22.95 Online price, best to check availability and reserve online in advance
Ugly Christmas Sweater Party Vancouver
Join Vancouver’s Ugly Christmas Sweater party and raise money in support of the Children’s Wish Foundation of Canada. The dress code is simple: wear your ugliest, cheesiest and most untasteful Christmas sweater possible.
- Dec 23, 2016 , 8PM
- Adult only (19+), $35, tickets available online
Concord’s NYE Vancouver
Join the largest New Year’s Eve party in Vancouver! The party features free live musical entertainment, exhibitions, food trucks and fireworks over Coal Harbour!
- Dec 31, 2016, 6:30PM
- FREE Admission
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any further questions. If you would like to book a trip to the Rocky Mountains or Seattle just talk to Matt for more information and prices. VGC wishes you a wonderful holiday!